Making a flood damage insurance claim and need some help? Just give IC Assist a Call.
If your property is damaged following a severe flood, coping with the aftermath can be a very upsetting and traumatic experience. You may be feeling so overwhelmed by the extent of the destruction to your home and contents, that you just don’t know where to start! But don’t worry, IC Assist are here to help. We will make things easier for you during this stressful time.
Flood damage claims can be very complex and require a lot of time and expertise to ensure your home is professionally restored. So why not just leave everything to us? Our FREE Claims Management Service takes care of everything on your behalf. This removes all the burden and worry from you. We will handle all aspects of your claim from start to finish. From our initial survey, right through to the completion of all the repairs. We also deal with your insurance company and any Loss Adjuster they appoint.
Get a professional survey and flood damage repair schedule
The most vital part of ensuring your property is repaired correctly, is instructing an expert to assesses the full extent of the damage. As there can be a lot of unseen/hidden damage that can affect your health and the structure of the building. Using a specialist will give you the peace of mind that nothing will get overlooked.
Cavity walls and insulation for instance, can become a breading ground for mold which can spread rapidly. As well as the dangers of the contaminates found in flood water. As a result, it’s important these are inspected. Otherwise, you will have a whole host of problems after you move back in.
Once the initial strip out work is complete, we will put together a detailed reinstatement schedule of works. This will outline all works required line by line from start to finish. This will result in a professionally repaired home that not only looks good, but is safe to live in!
Key stages to restoring your home after a flood.
Before any clean up beings, our initial priority is making your property safe. Precautions need to be taken with regards to electrical safety. This can be a simple as disconnecting electrical appliances and isolating the power to the building. But will also involve electrical testing by a qualified electrician. We will also ensure that your building is secure. As sometimes doors may not function properly after the water subsides. When making a flood damage insurance claim, there are several other important steps that need to be initiated as quickly as possible to help mitigate your claim. All of which IC Assist can arrange.
How to mitigate your claim and prevent substantial destruction to your property:
- Remove any remaining standing water – Ideally this should be done within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. Large volumes can be pumped out.
- Take out soaked and contaminated items – Glass, porcelian, plastic may be restoreable. However, porous materials such as carpets, vinyl, upholstered furniture, kitchen cupboards are likely to be disposed of. Especially if they were in under contaminated water for more than 24 hours.
- Strip out building materials that absorbed harmful flood water – Mud, sewage, bacteria and other harmful toxins can be deposited onto building materials too and they must be removed too. This can include lifting floor coverings such as laminate,vinyl, tiles etc. Affected plaster and plasterboard will also need to be cut out. As a minimum, this should be up to meter above the water line. Skirting boards, floor boards, doors and door frames may also need to be ripped out too.
Important actions after the initial strip out that must be completed before any reinstatement begins:
- Sanitise the affected areas – to remove sewage or other contaminates that are harmful to your health. Appropriate protective clothing and footwear should be used during this process as it is classed as ‘black water’. Making it a severe health hazard.
- Install drying equipment – to dry saturated or wet walls and sub-floors. We use state of the art Dri-Eaz equipment such as the LGR Revolution and their Sahara turbo air movers. Throughout the drying process moisture readings will be taken and documented, ensuring our equipment is being use to best effect.
If you want to tackle the flood damage clean up yourself, you can download a useful self help guide to flooding from the British Damage Management Association. You can also find lots of other flood help and advice here.
We have a specialist team to re-decorate and restore your flood damaged home.
Once the water damaged areas have been certified as dry, our team of professional contractors will get straight to work. We have very high standards and will work tirelessly to transform your home to it’s pre-loss condition. We can restore all types of damage caused by a flood. Leaving you with clean and beautiful new rooms to move back into. We provide a complete building repair service. So if your kitchen or bathroom was also damaged, we can refurbish these too.
Ground water flooding can occur following heavy persistent rain and can also cause damage to properties.
Following heavy or prolonged rainfall, property damage can also occur as the level of water in the soil or rocks underground increases. As the water reaches ground level it begins to seep up through floor surfaces. This can leave concrete floors and basements saturated. It doesn’t always happen immediately – it can appear days, weeks or months after! This is known as ground water flooding. This type of flood can last weeks or months.
Beware Asbestos could be uncovered whilst stripping out flood damaged properties.
There is a risk of disturbing Asbestos during the strip out. As Asbestos was widely used in a wide range of building materials before being banned. The most common hazardous material we come across when removing water damaged floor coverings is Marley tiles. Asbestos was used in these vinyl tiles and in the bitumen adhesive (used to bond the tiles to the concrete sub floor). We often find then underneath carpets, laminate, tiles and vinyl in older properties.
In order to dry the concrete sub floor, the Marley tiles and adhesive will need to be removed. As they will act as a barrier and keep moisture trapped underneath. Therefore samples of the tile and adhesive will be be taken for analysis before we disturb them.
Asbestos can also be found in Artex/textured coatings, loose fill insulation, AIB and many other builder materials. This presents may opportunities where Asbestos could found.
Alternative Accommodation will be required whilst your property is restored.
Dealing with a flood damage insurance claim can be a very lengthy process. Therefore you will need to be rehoused throughout the duration of the works. Due to the scale of the repairs, your home will become a building site. Consequently it’s best that you, your family and any pets, move in to alternative accommodation. Your insurance may cover you for this. Otherwise, you could possibly stay with friends or family until your home is in a habitable condition again. So if your property has been flooded during storm Ciara, Dennis or Jorge and you are looking for a reliable and professional company to deal with your flood claim, just get in touch.